Data usage is how much data your phone uploads or downloads using mobile data. If you are on a Noncapped data plan and you wanted to keep control of how much you want to spend every month, here's how:
For Android Phones
1. Head into your Settings > Connections
2. Select Data Usage and tap on Billing cycle and data warning
3. Toggle on Set data limit.
To adjust the data limit cut off point tap on Data Limit
4. Type in your new cut off limit, if you tap on the drop-down you will be able to choose between MB to GB. Once complete, select Set to apply changes.
Tips on how to control & limit cellular data usage on iOS
Since iOS is not designed to push data limit warnings in form of notifications, the closest thing to push alerts is installing a third-party application from the App store such as traffic monitor-usage.
The below screens work as alternate options to limit your data usage on iOS.
1. Turn off apps (Under the Mobile data for) that you don’t want to access mobile/ Cellular data.
2. Wi-Fi Assist. This ensures that you always have the best Internet connection. It switches to cellular when Wi-Fi connection is poor.
You may want to turn off by going to Settings > Cellular and scroll to the bottom and disable Wi-Fi Assist.
3. Background App Fresh. With Background App Refresh, closed apps can check for new fresh content by running in the background.
This feature may use your cellular data, so you may want to turn off by going to Settings > General > Background App Refresh.